guix-devel

Re: Guix Data Service - September update

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Guix Data Service - September update
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2019 09:05:29 +0100

> That would be great.  In the end, it seems to be that there are quite a
> few services we could build around the Data Service.  I’m not sure how
> they should interact.
>
> For instance, Mumi could talk to data.guix.gnu.org over an HTTP API, or
> should we replicate the database at issues.guix.gnu.org so that Mumi can
> tap directly into it?
>
> Likewise, how should something like hpcguix-web (the package browser at
> <https://hpc.guix.info/browse>) exploit available data, for instance to
> show the history of package versions?

So I've got an initial thing working for the version histories now. You
can construct a URL like [1], which will show a table about the known
versions of the package (icecat in this case) on the master branch.

1: http://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/icecat

The same data is available in JSON [2], and that might work for getting
the data in the hpcguix-web service.

2: http://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/icecat.json

Fetching the data for individual packages definately won't work well for
all applications, so I'm definately open to exposing the data in other
ways as well.

Chris