guix-devel

Re: Proposal to remove the off-topic, not free software related thoughtc

From: Stefan Huchler
Subject: Re: Proposal to remove the off-topic, not free software related thoughtcrime accusations from the Guix project pages on GNU.ORG websitew
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 18:18:52 +0200

> Wow!  Ease off a bit!
>
> You might not noticed that, but today Guix is the most vivid part of
> GNU.  And I could not image an action, that might cause more damage to
> GNU project, than urging Guix lead developers to leave.  Even if you
> believe that forking software over political discord is good thing to
> do (despite it does not align well with the rest of your message), by
> all means, you would not able to outcompete them, so it would simply
> ended in Guix out of GNU.  So it even more harmful than urging RMS to
> leave.  After all, RMS is mortal and, alas, will leave us and GNU
> sooner or later, while Guix is not necessary.

I am a Lisp developer mostly Elisp and a Nixos User and have on one
Machine Guix system installed, I believe in Free Software yet I don't
get how on the Guix Website a Article against RMS could be posted and
despite some issues with Nixos partly because of technical reasons but
more so of ideological reasons feel not welcome in the Guix community to
phrase it mildly.

That some devs in a team have different oppinions is one thing but that
they post it on the guix.gnu.org website really puts me off
completely. When that stands on that website, everybody implicitly that
works for that project also stands for that if they want to or not.

That are my opinions I at least have not written a bug report or feature
request here because of that incident and likely more feedback including
some code that could have come in the future from me stands in question.

So surely seperately fork one small linux distro over that is maybe not
very clever, but maybe the FSF should be forked and then yes maybe it's
nessesary to have more forks of projects, when the differences become to
big.

Many similar projects exist because 1 uses GPL and one uses BSD, so if
peopl want a GPL + SJW Edition implicit or explicit in some cases:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/you-cant-open-source-license-morality/

I also don't trust people that can't logically think or cite people
correctly and attack people on strawman arguments on writing good code.

But I don't know your internal processes inside GNU, but I can only say
that for (at least some) outsiders like me it all looks like a big red
flag.

My 2 cents.