guix-devel

Re: Overhauling the cargo-build-system

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Overhauling the cargo-build-system
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 00:33:18 +0200

Hello!

Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> skribis:

> I'd like to challenge the assumption that packages are both libraries
> and source. A 'library' in rust compiles into one of three types: a
> static library (libfoo.a), a shared library (libfoo.so), or a
> 'rust-library' (libfoo.rlib).

Why don’t we create .so files, then?  They have NEEDED and RUNPATH, so
that could work like for C, no?

> Let me repeat that. We have 192 rust packages that no one needs or
> wants, except in source form.

Ouch!  So the rlib file is never actually used?!

You said “it is not possible to link an rlib to another rlib”, but
that’s not necessarily a problem, it’s like .a libraries, no?

> PROPOSAL:
> Change all the rust packages we have now to be source-only. Rename them
> from rust-foo to rust-foo-src or rust-src-foo.

In the current scheme, can you actually do, say:

  guix environment --ad-hoc rust rust-foo rust-bar

and then (pseudo syntax):

  rustc mystuff.rust -lfoo -lbar

?

Thanks,