guix-devel

Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 16:43:24 +0200

* Christophe Poncy <address@hidden> [2019-10-11 23:10]:
> On 2019-10-11 20:41, Taylan Kammer wrote:
> > […]  What position does he
> > hold within today's GNU project other than being a wise old person
> > (wise with respect to his topics of expertise) who is respected a lot?
> >

> As a simple user, I see him as the guardian of the temple ("Chief
> GNUisance"), and that reassures me because he embodies the free software
> philosophy on its own.
>
> > the maintainers and contributors collectively
> > hold a lot more power than any single person.
>
> IMO, the GNU essence is more powerful than the sum of its hackers.
>
> > So in a way I guess I  don't really see what the statement
> > is trying to accomplish
>
> It visibly sets the scapegoat mechanism in motion, see
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scapegoating#Scapegoat_mechanism

Thanks. Good for my reference for further propaganda.

Literary critic and philosopher Kenneth Burke first coined and described the
expression scapegoat mechanism in his books Permanence and Change (1935),[14]
and A Grammar of Motives (1945).[15] These works influenced some philosophical
anthropologists, such as Ernest Becker and René Girard. Girard developed the
concept much more extensively as an interpretation of human culture. In
Girard's view, it is humankind, not God, who has need for various forms of
atoning violence. Humans are driven by desire for that which another has or
wants (mimetic desire). This causes a triangulation of desire and results in
conflict between the desiring parties. This mimetic contagion increases to a
point where society is at risk; it is at this point that the scapegoat
mechanism[16] is triggered. This is the point where one person is singled out
as the cause of the trouble and is expelled or killed by the group. This person
is the scapegoat. Social order is restored as people are contented that they
have solved the cause of their problems by removing the scapegoated individual,
and the cycle begins again. The keyword here is "content". Scapegoating serves
as a psychological relief for a group of people. Girard contends that this is
what happened in the narrative of Jesus of Nazareth, the central figure in
Christianity. The difference between the scapegoating of Jesus and others,
Girard believes, is that in the resurrection of Jesus from the dead, he is
shown to be an innocent victim; humanity is thus made aware of its violent
tendencies and the cycle is broken. Thus Girard's work is significant as a
reconstruction of the Christus Victor atonement theory.

Important is free software philosophy and as such it is not political.

Jean