guix-devel

Re: 'core-updates' Q4 2019

From: Kei Kebreau
Subject: Re: 'core-updates' Q4 2019
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 16:44:51 -0400

Marius Bakke <address@hidden> writes:

> Kei Kebreau <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hello Kei,
>>>
>>> Kei Kebreau <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> Shouldn’t you instead base it on ‘master’ or ‘staging’?
>>>
>>> That may allow us to merge it more quickly, especially if these are only
>>> GNOME-related changes.
>>>
>>> Thanks for working on it!
>>>
>>> Ludo’.
>>
>> Hi Ludovic,
>>
>> Taken individually, most changes on the GNOME 3.32 branch could be
>> pushed to master without too much trouble. The only issues are big
>> changes like
>> upgrading Vala. The following changes would cause a large number of
>> rebuilds:
>>
>> At least 300 rebuilds: python-pygobject, gtk+
>>
>> At least 1200 rebuilds: gtk-doc, vala, yelp-tools, python-parameterized,
>> python-check-manifest, python-anytree
>>
>> I'll minimize the changes, isolate what I can, and submit the results
>> for review as time allows!
>
> Thanks!  Sounds like something we can handle in a 'staging' cycle.
>
> By the way, GNOME 3.34 is out, and 3.36 is slated for March.  So I think
> we will finally be able to catch up with GNOME again soon...
>
> (let's focus on 3.32 first though ;-))

I have news! The good part is that I got 54 packages to build on top of
master. The bad part is that when I try to use the resulting packages as
my system configuration, my computer gets stuck in tty1, and attempting
to switch to Xorg on tty7 leaves my screen frozen though the system is
still responsive.

Anyone want to see the 54 patches and possibly help me root around for
the issue?