guix-devel

Re: SLiM graphical login manager and keyboard layout

From: Diego Nicola Barbato
Subject: Re: SLiM graphical login manager and keyboard layout
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 18:57:30 +0200

Tanguy Le Carrour <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Diego!
>

> Le 10/18, Diego Nicola Barbato a écrit :
>> You can set the keyboard layout directly in the slim-configuration like
>> this:
>> (service slim-service-type
>>          (slim-configuration
>>           (xorg-configuration
>>            (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout))))
>
> I have a slightly different version that works!

That's because mine doesn't make sense (sorry!).  I've messed it up when
adapting it from my own config.scm.

>            (service slim-service-type
>              (slim-configuration
>               (xorg-configuration
>                (xorg-configuration
>                 (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout))))))
>

> I don't understand the "double" `xorg-configuration`, though! ^_^'

The outer 'xorg-configuration' is a field of the 'slim-configuration'
data type.  The inner 'xorg-configuration' is itself a data type
representing the Xorg configuration (with its 'keyboard-layout' field
set to the value of 'keyboard-layout').

If you look at the section 'X Window' in the Guix manual, you'll see
that the default value for the 'xorg-configuration' field (of the
'slim-configuration' data type) is '(xorg-configuration)', which is
simply the 'xorg-configuration' data type with all its fields set to
their respective default values.

HTH,

Diego