guix-devel

Re: Profiles/manifests-related command line interface enhancements

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Profiles/manifests-related command line interface enhancements
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 11:32:55 +0200

Hi Mark,

Good points!

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> However, we could provide a Bash shell function (with a different name)
> that provides conveniences like this.  Users of other shells would not
> be able to use the Bash shell function, though.  Ideally, we'd provide
> shell functions with a similar interface for several popular shells.
> I'm not sure if it's worth it, but it could be done.

We already suffer from "Bash-specificism" since our "etc/profile" files
are written in Bash.  It will work for Zsh, but I'm not sure it works
for POSIX shell and it does not work for tcsh or Fish shell.

As you suggested `guix-activate` could be a shell function that's
defined in /etc/profile or anywhere appropriate.  We can "switch-case"
on the running shell and define `guix-activate` appropriately.  This way
we could support different shells.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/