guix-devel

Re: Parallel downloads

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Parallel downloads
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 17:18:13 +0100

Hullo Pierre!

Pierre Neidhardt 写道:
Is there any plan to support parallel downloads?

Guix already downloads sources and substitutes in parallel with other builds/downloads through the --max-jobs option.

You could add a separate knob for downloads that defaults to --max-jobs. Or even (* max-jobs cores). No plans for that AFAIK. I don't think it's a trivial tweak.

I'm interested in the numbers behind this claim:

Currently downloads are a bottleneck for `guix install / upgrade`, parallel downloads could reduce the operation duration by an order
of magnitude.

…because on a substitute-only workload, my default --max-jobs=4 connections give me 4 MiB/s versus 1.5 MiB/s on a single job.

That's not even a linear increase, let alone an order of magnitude (base 2 doesn't count :-).

Kind regards,

T G-R