guix-devel

Re: Maintaining GNU Jami package for Guix

From: Jan
Subject: Re: Maintaining GNU Jami package for Guix
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 18:43:29 +0100

On Sun, 03 Nov 2019 17:37:10 +0100
Marius Bakke <address@hidden> wrote:

> I did not find any cURL or GnuTLS patches there.  Maybe I
> misunderstood something?

Gnutls is a dependency of Jami, curl is probably a dependency of a
dependency of Jami, but that's all - what is important here is that
Jami uses a modified version of pjproject, which adds support for
gnutls - that's why patching fails. What happened with curl is a
mystery for me, the only thing I know is that building curl had failed
before building pjproject-jami, so I thought the patching process
succeeded. But since it works now, it doesn't matter (at least for me).

> Both GnuTLS and cURL have stable ABIs.  That means, a package linked
> against cURL 7.63 will almost certainly work with cURL 7.66 without
> changes (even without recompilation).

Don't know why, but Jami seems to use a specific version of gnutls, but
if what you say is true, then it doesn't matter. I started looking for
outdated dependencies, because I thought they could be the source of
the problem.

> There are many reasons not to include multiple versions of a package,
> but for cURL and GnuTLS in particular, the main reason is that there
> are security fixes in nearly every new version.  Thus, we can only
> support the latest one.

Okay, I'll try using the latest packages for Jami then.

Jan Wielkiewicz