guix-devel

Re: Python package naming: Dots vs hyphens

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Python package naming: Dots vs hyphens
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 11:57:22 +0100

Hello,

On Wed, Nov 06, 2019 at 07:49:56AM +0100, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> Shall I rename python-zope-* to python-zope.*?

the package naming guidelines say "replace underscores by hyphens".
I would extend this to say "replace punctuation marks by (one) hyphen".
Probably when we wrote the paragraph, the case had not presented
itself yet. Similar things are done at least in perl, where the "::"
of the module hierarchy is replaced by "-". Is this case analogous to
python?

Andreas