guix-devel

Store channel specification in profile

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Store channel specification in profile
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 15:55:21 +0100

Hi,

After the long discussions we had on profile, guix environment,
manifest, multi-dimensional rollbacks, etc. I suggest the following fix:
let's store the "channel specifications" in the profile / environment,
similar to how we store the manifest in etc/manifest.

What I call "channel specification" is essentially the output of `guix
describe -f channels`.  Unless some official term already exists, I
propose to document this term in the manual.

I propose to store the channel spec under
"etc/channel-specification.scm".
Or shall we opt for the shorter "etc/channl-spec"?

One question arises though: channel specifications only make sense for
profiles generated with manifests.  What about ad-hoc profiles?  Shall
we still store the spec in this case?  I propose we don't, this could
also be a hacky way to check whether a profile is ad-hoc or not.

Thoughts?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/