guix-devel

Feedback from JRES in Dijon

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Feedback from JRES in Dijon
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 15:16:23 +0100

Hi Guix!

I presented the project at JRES yesterday and had lots of questions and reactions.

One person was wondering whether Guix would be a good idea for there cluster. I said yes then I redirected them to guix hpc.

Another wanted to have some kind of doi for guix describe + manifest (a better UI and easier thing to cite in a paper I suppose).

Another was asking about the possibility ofusing Guix to have multiple kernels and boot a debian with guix's kernel (so as to choose a compatible kernel at boot iiuc).

The person I talked to at lunch was a bit skeptical about Guix. They have it and Nix, with module on their cluster. They told me they were more concerned about replicability than reproducibility. Also, their users are lost between the options, they have trouble getting help on guix from their admins and they end up using conda, yet another tool ^^".

That's only a few conversations that really marked me, but I had more, and I'll hopefully have more this afternoon and tomorrow.

Marc, who organised the guile and guix days in Strasbourg last summer is here too and said he will write a tutorial on using vin to program in scheme. I'm lookinq forward to reading it!