guix-devel

Re: Store channel specification in profile

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Store channel specification in profile
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2019 18:11:55 +0100

Hi!

Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden> skribis:

>> One question arises though: channel specifications only make sense for
>> profiles generated with manifests.
>
> Not even for those, if the manifest uses inferior-packages. I'd go for
> per-package channel specifications. They could be optimized (more
> compact, more efficiently usable) by first storing a list of all
> distinct channels and then a (package . channels) list.

This is exactly what’s currently implemented if you look at
~/.guix-profile/manifest, under ‘provenance’.

Like zimoun writes, it would be nice to have some sort of a “describe”
command for a regular profile.  Actually maybe “guix describe -p”?

Actually ‘guix describe -p ~/.guix-profile’ works but doesn’t display
anything useful.  We could fix that by recognizing the kind of profile,
somehow.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.