guix-devel

Re: Move r-{desolve, quadprog, pracma, subplex} from maths.scm to cran.s

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Move r-{desolve, quadprog, pracma, subplex} from maths.scm to cran.scm
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 00:25:58 +0100

Hi Ricarco

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 at 15:47, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> PS: I also think that CRAN things in bioinformatics.scm should be moved
> to cran.scm, and even some or all of the R stuff in statistics.scm.
> (Same applies to Bioconductor packages, which should end up in
> bioconductor.scm where possible.)

I am working on that.

Let consider some quick stats with "grep".

1.
Currently, the file bioconductor.scm contains 4 packages with
'cran-uri' and git blames you. :-)

Well, the 4 commits are:

: a207bca2ad gnu: r-codedepends: Move from cran to bioconductor.
: 3a0babacdc gnu: Add r-htscluster.
: 7ed869f796 gnu: Add r-nbpseq.
: 80eb01c776 gnu: r-gkmsvm: Move to (gnu packages bioconductor).

with some comments  as

;; This is a CRAN package, but it uncharacteristically depends on a
;; Bioconductor package

Do you remember a special motivation?

2.
The second point is that the file statistics.scm contains 227 packages
and 206 are cran-uri. And the file cran.scm already contains 602
packages, so it will be almost as python-xyz.scm is. Why not. Then,
this file statistics.scm will be almost empty and I propose instead to
populate the files maths.scm, python-xyz.scm.

What do you think?

3.
It is a big move. Do you prefer
 - a commit per package, so more or less 300 commits?
 - or a commit bioconductor.scm->cran.scm, another
statistics.scm->cran.scm, bioinformatics.scm->bioconductor.scm and
bioconductor->bioinformatics.scm, etc.?

Thank you for your insights.

All the best,
simon