guix-devel

Re: NLNet grant "Next Generation Internet -- Search & discovery": I'm in

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: NLNet grant "Next Generation Internet -- Search & discovery": I'm in!
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2019 20:13:38 +0100

Arun Isaac <address@hidden> writes:

> Great, congratulations! :-)

Thanks! :)

>> 1. Parameterized packages
>>    (Previous discussion:
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-05/msg00285.html)
>
> I've been looking for something like this. I want to run a more minimal
> system like I used to with Parabola GNU/Linux. I often find Guix's
> packages to be too heavy and hard to modify without a lot of
> effort. Package inheritance is itself easy to accomplish with Guile code
> but getting the modified package to build successfully is sometimes
> difficult. It would certainly help if Guix had pre-parameterized
> packages that one could modify easily. However, this can enormously
> increase the burden on Guix packagers. However, we can discuss that
> later when we have more specific proposals.

The first thing that comes to my mind is to proceed incrementally
(i.e. add parameters one by one, package by package).  We might be able
to partially automate this by leveraging the build systems (e.g. some
build systems might automatically support building static libraries for
a well known flag).

Well, there is a lot to talk about!

Cheers!

--