guix-devel

Re: (not) testing Rust packages?!

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: (not) testing Rust packages?!
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 23:56:44 +0100

Martin Becze <address@hidden> writes:

> Yeah really good point there (and good work on getting all those pkgs
> in!)

Being a newcomer to guix, I must say I'm really amazed about the state
of Rust packaging!

>> Furthermore since most rust libraries we have are not executables, we
>> could still skip the build and run the tests I think. Aren’t the two
>> phases completely separate for cargo?
>
> Yes, will can skip the build and just test in the (cargo-build-system)
> but `cargo test` will cause most everything to build anyways i
> believe.

`cargo test` will always build the crate a second time, even if `cargo
build` already ran. This is due to the config attribute `test` being set
(similar a to C preprocessor #define), and thus the actual code being
compiled may be different. In addition, `cargo test` will bring in the
`dev-dependencies`, which can indeed be _much_ more massive than the
regular `dependencies`.