guix-devel

Re: Guix search, colors and INSIDE_EMACS

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix search, colors and INSIDE_EMACS
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 16:13:13 +0100

Hi!

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> skribis:

> In my experience, colors worked perfectly before the INSIDE_EMACS switch
> was introduced.  I don't understand what this change tried to fix.
> Maybe one fix broke something else.

‘INSIDE_EMACS’ has always been honored by (guix colors).  Also, it’s
honored similar by all GNU tools and in particular Coreutils, which I
think is overall a good thing as Ricardo explained!

Now, it’s true that that there are cases where even shell-mode +
guix-build-log-mode doesn’t give you as much highlighting as ‘guix’
outside Emacs (for example for errors or highlights in all the
diagnostics.)  Perhaps we “just” need to enhance comint somehow!  :-)

Ludo’.