guix-devel

Re: Internationalization Support for the Guix Data Service Outreachy Pro

From: Bonface M. K.
Subject: Re: Internationalization Support for the Guix Data Service Outreachy Project
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 23:56:22 +0300

Daniela Lura <danielaluraa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everyone, :)
>
> I'm following up to give an update on how the "Improve Internationalization
> Support for Guix Data Service" Outreachy project has
> been going.
> Translated versions of lint checkers and package synopsis and descriptions
> are now present in the database and they're also
> available through the Guix Data Service web interface.
> They can be accessed in these pages:
> Lint Warnings:
> -
> https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/latest-processed-revision/lint-warnings
> -
> https://data.guix.gnu.org/compare?base_commit=ceb233bb7642b2a7efec57073bf205b62ebd8f97&target_commit=3123cdaf7b695f3473ed2bf8c15da911d889cca3
> Package Synopsis and Descriptions
> -
> https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/latest-processed-revision/packages
> -
> https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/latest-processed-revision/package/chroma/1.17?locale=en_US.utf8
>
> The addition of locale values has also been reflected in the JSON response
> for the pages where translations are available.
>
> The availability of translated packages synopsis and descriptions for each
> locale can be found here:
> https://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/054153b28cea697d0439127ffdea4aadfd5c2e0a/packages-translation-availability
>
> Here you can find an outline of the project:
> https://github.com/spf50/data-service/projects/1
>
> Hopefully these changes will make your experience using Guix Data Service
> better and will help prevent exclusion as much as
> possible.

This is really dope! Is there a plan for supporting other locales? And
how are the actual translations managed? I've seen other popular projects like
antennapod(https://github.com/AntennaPod/AntennaPod) use
Transifex(https://www.transifex.com/antennapod/antennapod/) and run on a
complete volunteer basis.

--