guix-devel

Re: Pushed a fix (?) for ACL key location

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Pushed a fix (?) for ACL key location
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 15:57:09 +0200

Hi Jonathan,

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 at 13:42, Jonathan Brielmaier <jonathan.brielmaier@web.de>
wrote:

> As I ran into all those little errors with `guix pull` this week-end, I
> wonder if we can do better.
>
> So maybe some pre-checkin CI which tests that a commit/commit series
> doesn't break `guix pull`. What do you think? Is this doable?

Testing "guix pull" to detect earlier breakage is a recurring topic. :-)
Well, "make as-derivation" or almost equivalently"./pre-inst-env guix
pull -p /tmp/new" are the tools to do so.  But they require some CPU
time, so they are not always done before pushing.  And when it is
pushed, it is too late.

> I find those little errors pretty annoying as they seem to be avoidable
> through technical counter measures...

Even if the CI detects the failure, this will not prevent the end-user
for pulling something broken.  It is because the model: push directly to
master without any CI validation. Something is wrong with this model
when we speak about annoyance by little errors.

The end-user should (only) pull (by default) commits which pass the test
suite *and* where the substitutes are available.

Cheers,
simon