guix-devel

How to package inputrc

From: Jonathan Brielmaier
Subject: How to package inputrc
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 00:01:32 +0200

Hi folks,

an annoying thing for me in a default Guix installation is the lack of
an inputrc definition[0]. So while using the shell I miss going through
my bash history via "page up"/"page down" keys.

To tackle this issue I created a simple inputrc and copied to
`/etc/inputrc`:
```
# alternate mappings for "page up" and "page down" to search the history
"\e[5~": history-search-backward
"\e[6~": history-search-forward
```

In order to achieve this more elegant I could write a simple service to
copy the file to /etc. Another option would be a small package.

I think other distros provide one in the default, basic installation:
ArchLinux[1], Debian[2] and openSUSE has even a longer one.

Are others missing that too? What do you think?

Good night
Jonathan

[0] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Readline
[1]