guix-devel

Re: Dependency cycle issues when using a Gexp-based snippet

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Dependency cycle issues when using a Gexp-based snippet
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 14:30:41 -0400

Hi Ludovic,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Indeed: the problem is that when loading this module, we try to resolve
> one of the variables referenced in the snippet, but that variable is not
> defined yet because it comes from a module that’s in a dependency circle
> with the one at hand.
[...]
> As Marius noted before, the snippets for ungoogled-chromium and
> linux-libre are contrived because of this limitation.  (Perhaps we can
> use ‘delayed’ instead of ‘thunked’.)

I can't speak for ungoogled-chromium, but for Linux-libre and IceCat,
there's at least one other limitation in snippets that are preventing us
from using them: the names of the pre- and post-snippet directories must
be the same.  In the case of IceCat, that would force us to either (1)
mislabel the upstream firefox source as "icecat", or (2) mislabel the
transformed icecat source as "firefox".  Ditto for "linux-libre" vs
"linux".

     Thanks,
       Mark