guix-devel

Re: ‘guix environment’ vs. ‘.bash_profile’

From: Brendan Tildesley
Subject: Re: ‘guix environment’ vs. ‘.bash_profile’
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 15:24:05 +1000

Doom Emacs has a tool `doom doctor' for diagnosing common errors. Perhaps there could be a `guix doctor' that would check for such things. `guix offload test' is already somewhat like that but for offloading, althought it could improve. Any bug report from a user where the solution is to tell them to fix their environment instead of changing guix could also have a check added to guix doctor. Also, we could collect knowledge on aspects of GNU/Linux that are unique to Guix that one often doesn't learn about on other distributions and include a page in the manual. for example I never had any use for sudo -E or sudo -i until I started using Guix.