guix-devel

Re: Guix Paths

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Guix Paths
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 10:33:52 +0200

Hello,

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 01:32:52AM +0000, Buttery Pancake wrote:
> I am wondering why Guix chose `/var/guix` path instead of `/gnu/var/guix` or
> `/
> guix/var/guix`, as Nix uses `/nix/var/nix`?
> I do think that having only one or two directories under root, `/gnu` and/or
> `/
> guix` is better, instead of having Guix related files under multiple
> directories (/var, /run etc.). It will be neat, clean and unique.

I agree especially with the problem that the store database is usually
saved under /var/guix/db - it would be much nicer if the store could be
copied over from one machine to another simply by copying one directory.
But that could also be solved by moving just the database to /gnu/store/db,
I suppose.

In a similar vein, it is annoying to have to use "--localstatedir=/var"
when configuring. The default configuration should simply be, well, the
default... And then it might as well be /gnu, too.

Andreas