guix-devel

Re: help with bootstrap binaries

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: help with bootstrap binaries
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 08:24:40 +0300

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 02:36:22PM +0300, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> I have an ongoing project to finish the port of Guix to 32-bit PowerPC
> and it looks like we're almost there. I ran into a snag with glibc-2.31
> since it gave all sorts of problems on PPC but core-updates now has
> 2.32. Unfortunately the patch glibc-bootstrap-system.patch didn't apply
> cleanly anymore so I updated it. It now applies but the 'system'
> command/macro from guile errors out while building packages, basically
> saying it can't find 'sh'.
>
> I'm looking if anyone wants to help fix the patch for 2.32 so we can
> continue using newer versions of glibc or see about downgrading glibc
> for make-bootstrap to 2.30.

Good news! After looking at the changes in the code in glibc I believe I
found a bug and Marius helped me on IRC work through some of the
options. It looks like a variable was mis-initialized as -1, causing
that branch of the code to always fail. I've pushed an update to the
glibc-bootstrap-system.patch on core-updates that produces working
bootstrap binaries.