guix-devel

etc/news copyright (was Re: Translating the web site)

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: etc/news copyright (was Re: Translating the web site)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 10:50:54 +0200

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 09:25:56AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:
> > To get the project, we need to clarify the license on the translation
> > files, as we discussed before. How should we proceed on that?
>
> There was a question about copyright holders for translations; to me
> it’s clearly individual translators, and translations that indicate
> otherwise are probably the result of misconfiguration in ‘Makevars’
> and/or copy/paste.
>
> The PO files at <https://translationproject.org/domain/guix.html> and
> <https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-packages.html> state:
>
>   This file is distributed under the same license as the guix package.
>
> which is perfect.
>
> Those at <https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-manual.html> have
> the same statement, but it should rather be the same license as the
> manual (GFDL).  Perhaps a ‘Makevars’ issue too?  Since there are a
> handful of translators involved, we can probably just contact them and
> change that sentence.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Ludo’.

I’m fine with any licensing changes you see fit.

I guess we should add proper copyright notices to etc/news.scm too?

Sorry for not starting its translations with a proper copyright, but I
wasn’t sure because of etc/news.scm’s license:

“;; Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification, are
;; permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright notice and
;; this notice are preserved.”

I attach a patch adding copyright notices, but I guess the authors
should agree.  I put them in Cc.

Regards,
Florian