guix-devel

Shipping more installer images?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Shipping more installer images?
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 13:47:25 +0200

Hi,

Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org> skribis:

>> I'm actually not really sure how one would use the installer on one of
>> the boards. I think the bare-bones disk-images would be best; just
>> download it and flash it onto the board or an SD card and edit
>> /etc/config.scm to add your user and services. Or to boot up into the
>> installer and overwrite itself.
>
> The CI is already building substitutes for two images
> (hurd-barebones-qcow2-image and pine64-barebones-raw-image). We could
> maybe release 1.2 version of those images.

Keep in mind that images use space at ftp.gnu.org and also take time to
build (having CI up-to-date helps with that, but it doesn’t not
eliminate build times due to the ‘update-guix-package’ dance that takes
place during “make release”.)

Likewise, if we ship more images, we should update the “System
Installation” section accordingly and be clear about what users can
expect.

I guess all I’m saying is that we should not make such decisions lightly
and be sure to examine all the consequences.

Thanks,
Ludo’.