guix-devel

Re: Using #true and #false everywhere?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Using #true and #false everywhere?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 17:52:34 +0200

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 11:59:40AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> What material are you referring to?  SICP & co.?
>
> I simply used my favourite search engine with something such as
>    scheme language boolean

OK.  Note that it’s a different topic though: someone going through the
Guix manual or looking at package definitions would have no reason to
search for that when they see “#true”, for example.

> In my case the first link is to the racket manual:
>    https://docs.racket-lang.org/reference/booleans.html
>
> Or this:
>    https://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse341/02sp/scheme/basics.html
>
> Or the Wikipedia entry:
>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheme_%28programming_language%29
>
> Any kind of search quickly reveals that booleans in Scheme are coded
> using #t and #f; whereas to find #true and #false, my impression is that
> one already needs to know that these are possibilities. I find their use
> more confusing than helpful.

If we change the Guix (and Guile?) manual to use #true and #false
consistently, we can give you something different to see.

We can even do SEO so that Racket doesn’t show up early (heck, they
chose not to call it a Scheme implementation :-)).  Though it saddens me
that the programming landscape is shaped by what search engines provide…

Ludo’.