guix-devel

Re: Packaging Python projects managed with Poetry

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Packaging Python projects managed with Poetry
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 17:23:35 +0100

Tanguy Le Carrour <tanguy@bioneland.org> writes:

> I've been happily working with Poetry to manage my Python projects, but
> now, for the first time, I would like to package one of those projects
> for Guix.
>
> The Python packages I build do not contain any tests or specs, because
> to me, they don't belong there. But, I need those tests to make sure
> that my package works with the versions of the dependencies available on
> Guix.
>
> The problem is that the source code that I fetch from the git repository
> contains the test, but does not contain a `setup.py` file –because Poetry
> does not use it!—, and the `python-build-system` fails.
>
> I haven't wrap my head around this yet and I'm not sure what would be
> the proper way to do it? Write a `python-poetry-build-system`? I hope not!
> Just put the d**n tests in the Python package? This would look like a
> failure to me! :-(
>
> Any thought, help, guidance welcome! Thanks! :-)

My first thought, is what would it require for the existing
python-build-system to detect and support building the things you
describe?

I haven't used Poetry myself, have you got a project that can be used as
an example?

It looks like the python-build-system already has some functionality
that's dependent on the use-setuptools? argument.