guix-devel

Re: Poetry upgrade and related packages

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Poetry upgrade and related packages
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2020 16:44:08 +0100

Hello!

Tanguy LE CARROUR <tanguy@bioneland.org> skribis:

> It's not yet clear to me how to handle (python) package updates:
> - when to update;
> - when not to update;
> - when to introduce "versionned" (`-x.y` suffix) package definitions;
> - when to introduce "next" (`/next` suffix) package definitions;
> - when to remove the two above suffixes;
> - …
>
> So I'm looking forward to reading the answers to this thread! :-)

When a change introduces too many rebuilds, the convention is to make
that change on a branch that will be merged “later” rather than on
‘master’; this is bullet 8 here:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html

Yet, sometimes we want to introduce new versions that people can get in
their profile, even if the “default” one remains the older version to
avoid world rebuilds.

One example is GDB: gdb@8 has 1,671 dependents, but we added gdb@10 on
the side such that “guix install gdb” gives you version 10.

I hope this helps!

Ludo’.