guix-devel

Re: Identical files across subsequent package revisions

From: Taylan Kammer
Subject: Re: Identical files across subsequent package revisions
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 10:08:27 +0100

On 22.12.2020 23:01, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

Thoughts?  :-)

My first thought: Neat, would love to see this implemented! :D

My second thought: it's surprising that IceCat supposedly changes so much between releases. I suppose the reason is that this analysis is on a per-file basis, and IceCat is mostly a massive binary. That leads me to wonder: what about binary diffs for large files?

Perhaps for all files that are bigger than N bytes, we could check if the binary diff is X% or smaller of the total size, and if so, the build servers could host the diff file alongside the full file. (Substitute N and X for sensible values, like maybe 5 MB and 50%.)

But that could be a second, separate step I suppose.

- Taylan