guix-devel

Re: What is the standard path for documentation?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: What is the standard path for documentation?
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 15:31:29 +0200

Hi Paul,

"Paul A. Patience" <paul@apatience.com> skribis:

> What is the standard place to put documentation?
> The license files are automatically installed to the
> share/doc/NAME-VERSION directory
> (see install-licence-files in gnu-build-system.scm),
> but it seems like various packages install the actual
> documentation to share/doc/NAME.

Right, share/doc/NAME appears to be more common (perhaps we should fix
‘install-licence-files’).

> Also, is it alright for files in the documentation directories
> to refer to various other directories in the store?
> Deal.II installs the attached files as documentation, but
> I thought I saw the source of a Guix package make an attempt
> to strip build directory information from one of its output
> files.

Reference to the build directories are not great but OK.

However, the two log files you mention refer to build-time tools.  As a
result, if you install those, the total size reported by ‘guix size
dealii’ will be noticeably bigger because the set of “references”
(run-time dependencies) would not include things like GCC and so on,
even though they are not actually used at run time.

Thus, I would not install these two files, especially since they seem to
be redundant with Guix-supported provenance tracking.

HTH!

Ludo’.