guix-devel

Re: Some more rust/cargo insights

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Some more rust/cargo insights
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 01:22:10 -0400

Hi Hartmut,

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> writes:

> Hi.,
>
> these day I had spent some more hours struggling with rust ans cargo,
> trying to get "pre-built" crates.
>
> Summery; Cargo is cruft, no solution found yet.
>
> I tried reusing a crate from the very same place it was built (see
> enclosed script). Anyhow, this does not work since cargo uses a
> different "metadata" value, even if noting changed. Based in the
> verbose output (cargo build -v …) I assume that some parameters of the
> "destination" build get included into this value.
>
> This meets another observation; when building the sequoia suite,
> several crates are build several times - even if all builds are
> performed in the same environment.
>
> Rust's build system is such a cruft - I really would like to throw it
> where it belongs: into the trash.

I've also tried to naively copy prebuilt rlibs at their expected cached
location to see if rust would reuse them, but they didn't seem to; see
the patch below if you are curious.

There was a 'build-plan' feature in cargo that made it output Makefiles
but it's not been under active development and will probably be
removed. [0] There's an issue demanding support in Cargo to allow
reusing pre-built libraries (last comment is mine) [1].

[0]  https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/issues/7614
[1]  https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/issues/1139