guix-devel

Re: Rust freedom issue claim

From: Bone Baboon
Subject: Re: Rust freedom issue claim
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 08:38:48 -0400

Leo Famulari writes:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 02:49:21PM -0400, Bone Baboon wrote:
>> Contents:
>> * Passive Approaches
>
> I definitely think a passive approach is best, unless the owners of the
> Rust trademark are taking actions that preclude it. Have they given us
> any reason to think that we need to do something about this issue? Many
> times, the best course of action is to do nothing.

What makes it timely to be talking about the Rust trademark policy is
that the Rust Foundation was recently created.

<https://blog.mozilla.org/en/mozilla/mozilla-welcomes-the-rust-foundation/>
says "The Rust Foundation will be the home of the popular Rust
programming language that began within Mozilla.".

<https://foundation.rust-lang.org/posts/2021-02-08-hello-world/> says
"Mozilla, the original home of the Rust project, has transferred all
trademark ... to the Rust Foundation.".

As the Rust Foundation is new there is the potential that they will be
open to changing the trademark policy.  This would make them look good
in free libre open source software communities.  It would also allow
them to demonstrate their independence from the Mozilla Foundation.

I am not currently aware of any actions being taken by the Rust
Foundation to enforce it's trademarks.