guix-devel

Re: Merging the “binary” NPM importer?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Merging the “binary” NPM importer?
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 15:58:32 +0200

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:

> In light of your message though, I think it may be fine to have the
> importer in Guix as long as it is labeled as a technology preview, with
> its current shortcomings documented :-).  This may make it more
> accessible and allow to refine it faster.

Yes, I agree that the shortcomings should appear prominently in
documentation, in particular the fact that the output does not meet (or
not always) the standards for inclusion in Guix proper.

It’s an unusual situation, but it seems that “modern” development
practices make it hard or impossible to meet our standards in the first
place; yet, we’re missing out on a whole range of free software packages
by not doing anything.  Offering the tool while not compromising on our
standards seems like a reasonable middle ground.

(It’s probably more than a “technology preview” though, in the sense
that the code itself does what it’s meant to do and is (hopefully :-))
well-tested.)

So whoever is interested in it can prepare patches!  :-)

Ludo’.