guix-devel

Re: Guix Packaging Meetup Tomorrow (Saturday) Oct 30 18:00 UTC (14:00 ET

From: jgart
Subject: Re: Guix Packaging Meetup Tomorrow (Saturday) Oct 30 18:00 UTC (14:00 ET)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 18:05:20 -0400

On Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:30:33 +0000 Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi jgart,
>
> Is there a recording of this available? - I couldn't make it yesterday.

Hi Phil,

There's no recording but we essentially worked on the guix cookbook a bit.

I showed one of the attendees how to compile the docs and take a patch to
submit to upstream.

I'll let you know if and when they submit the patch. The patch still needed
some more work and research before being submitted.

The patch was to add a FAQ section in the cookbook.

The entry that was added was to mention that in order to get the clear command
on Guix System the user has to install the ncurses package:

```
guix install ncurses
```

```
guix shell tree -- tree
/gnu/store/zzkly5rbfvahwqgcs7crz0ilpi7x5g5p-ncurses-6.2/bin/

/gnu/store/zzkly5rbfvahwqgcs7crz0ilpi7x5g5p-ncurses-6.2/bin/
├── captoinfo -> tic
├── clear
├── infocmp
├── infotocap -> tic
├── ncursesw6-config
├── reset -> tset
├── tabs
├── tic
├── toe
├── tput
└── tset
```

If you'd like to see previous commits made in past meetups just
search for LibreMiami (earlier commits) or Guix Together (recent commits)
in the history of a guix git checkout (master branch):

git shortlog --author="LibreMiami"

or

git shortlog --author="Guix Together"

We meet on the last Saturday of every month at 14:00 ET (18:00 UTC).

Hope to see you at the next one. I'll announce the meetup again on the
guix-devel mailing list.

ps

I was recording the first couple of meetups with asciinema but I've since
stopped doing that.

Here are those recordings:

https://gitlab.com/libremiami/guix-packaging-meetup-asciinema-recordings

I'm thinking to start blogging over gemini space about what occurs at the
meetups in order to give a report to the community but I have not started.

all best,

jgart