guix-devel

Re: SSH service for Guix Home

From: Xinglu Chen
Subject: Re: SSH service for Guix Home
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 08:43:20 +0100

Hi,

Am Montag, der 20. Dezember 2021, um 23:31 +012, schrieb Ludovic Courtès
<ludo@gnu.org>:

> I think we need to come to a shared understanding of what the next steps
> are.  Once we have that, we can clarify the current status in the manual
> and release announcement, and open issues so that anyone who’d like to
> contribute knows where to look at.

Yeah, maybe we could create a bug report listing all the things that
should be done/fixed before we start adding too many new home services?

>> I think one of the problems is that there is not really any style guide
>> for now to write services (I do have a WIP patch in my local tree that
>> will document most of (gnu services configuration) though :-)).
>
> I see you’ve sent it in the meantime, neat!

Andrew also sent a patch that provides some guidelines for how to write
services[1], in case you haven’t seen it already.

>> We also lack a way to properly test home services; we would need
>> something similar to what Nix Home-manager has[1][2].
>>
>> [1]: Nix code for configuring a program
>> <https://github.com/nix-community/home-manager/blob/master/tests/modules/programs/git/git.nix>
>> [2]: Expected content of the serialized configuration
>> <https://github.com/nix-community/home-manager/blob/master/tests/modules/programs/git/git-expected.conf>
>
> OK.  Given that ‘define-configuration’ works at a “meta” level, I wonder
> if we could have tests that are less boring than this.

What exactly do you mean by “meta” level?  Do you have anything
particular in mind regarding the tests?

[1]: <87h7b2b6n3.fsf@trop.in/">https://yhetil.org/guix-patches/87h7b2b6n3.fsf@trop.in/>