guix-devel

Hardened toolchain

From: kiasoc5
Subject: Hardened toolchain
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 05:31:01 +0100 (CET)

I posted an initial message on help-guix about compiling a custom hardened gcc,
but guix-devel is a better list to continue the discussion. I wanted to revisit
compiling Guix packages with a hardened toolchain since many other distros do
this to improve the security of their packages.

Previous emails  only mentioned passing hardening options to CFLAGS and
LDFLAGS. Another important step is to compile features into GCC and binutils.
Specifically:

* gcc can be compiled with `--enable-default-ssp --enable-default-pie` to
enforce ssp and pic
* binutils can be compiled with `--enable-relro --enable-pic` to enforce relro
and pic

I'm not a toolchain expert by any means, but I think this is a good first step
in improving Guix package security.

1.
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2016-October/028405.html