guix-devel

PipeWire as a PulseAudio replacement (was Re: The Shepherd on Fibers)

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: PipeWire as a PulseAudio replacement (was Re: The Shepherd on Fibers)
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 16:24:42 +0100

Hello Brendan,

Brendan Tildesley <mail@brendan.scot> writes:
> I would like to replace pulseaudio with pipewire as the default in
> %desktop-services, the only hurdle is how to launch the user daemons in all
> the
> different desktop configurations one might use. Other distros use systemd's
> socket activation to magically launch pipewire.
>
> Otherwise XDG autostarts or some kind of guix home service could
> launch it?

The main issue for PipeWire is that it really doesn't support running a
single system-wide daemon as we're doing with PulseAudio, so you would
need to launch it through XDG autostart, guix home or something similar
like you said!

One thing that I think is blocking right now is that PipeWire (or
actually WirePlumber, I don't remember) would need to see some
environment variables set by other user services eg. session D-Bus or
even the compositor, which isn't possible yet with Shepherd.

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret