guix-devel

Re: Hardened toolchain

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Hardened toolchain
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 09:35:41 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 at 23:17, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> writes:

>> I think it would be a lot simpler to just add this to the 'standard'
>> gcc configure flags, in (gnu packages gcc), given that probably the
>> idea is to do this hardening for all packages?  Needs a world-rebuild
>> though.
>
> +1.  The whole distribution can probably benefit from this hardening.

(Parenthesis, the initial question is about how to create a custom gcc,
somehow whatever the options are about, and my answers are in this
direction and not in supporting directly in Guix some variants or even
create a new upstream .  To me, that “a lot simpler” is orthogonal. :-)
Closing parenthesis.)

Yes, for sure, it can be a good idea to follow the “Arch Linux” hardened
flags.  The two question I have are:

 1. Is it well-supported for cross-compiling?

 2. Do we introduce the hardened flags for compiling the hardened
 compiler?  Other said, at which bootstrap level in the chain do we
 introduce these hardened options?

Cheers,
simon