guix-devel

Re: better error messages through assertions

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: Re: better error messages through assertions
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 16:25:33 -0400

Hi,

On 3/7/22 05:13, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Hi Philip,

Philip McGrath <philip@philipmcgrath.com> skribis:

Racket's state-of-the-art contract system has many features and nuances. I *do
not* think anyone should try to implement them all in one fell swoop. I'm
hoping there's a way to implement your simple assertions with only a modest
amount of overhead that will provide the right base on which to grow the rest
of a contract system. In the short term, the advantage over:

     (assert-type (listof service?) services
                  "SERVICES must be a list of <service> values.")

is that you don't have to write error messages by hand.

You need two types of values:

  1. Contracts, recognized by `contract?`; and
  2. Blame objects, recognized by `blame?`.

[...]

Thanks for the explanation and references!  I had briefly looked at
Racket’s contract API in the past but your message gave a clearer view
of how this all fits together.

I'm glad this is something Guix people are interested in!

I would love to have contracts in Guix, even very rudimentary contracts. If
it's something the community more generally would be interested in, I'd be
glad to help as much as I can.

It’d be great to benefit from your expertise here.  Like you wrote, I
think we should start with a simple contract system, certainly simpler
than Racket’s, and build from there.

If you’re willing and able to spend time prototyping this, that’s great.
:-)

I'm interested in putting together a prototype.

I've taken my own suggestion and asked the Racket community for more advice: https://racket.discourse.group/t/advice-on-implementing-a-contract-system/832

To quote the end of my last message there,

The tl;dr of all that is that `(guix records)` seems to ultimately call for
"indy-dependent" contracts[1].

On the one hand, the distinction between "indy-dependent" `->i`[2] and
"lax-dependent" `->d`[3] is exactly the sort of hard-learned lesson that I hope the Guix
community can draw from Racket's decades of experience.

On the other hand, I'm increasingly intrigued by the idea of starting with
forms along the lines of `invariant-assertion`[4] and `struct-guard/c`[5] and
truly sticking to flat contracts to start with, leaving all the higher-order
complexity for another day.

I'm thinking that a reasonable place to start might be to implement a `contract->sanitizer` form that would allow using contracts to create sanitizers, ideally with no changes to `(guix records)`.

In addition to the questions about contract system design, I realized I have a few questions about Guix/Guile that would be relevant when starting a prototype.

What is the preferred mechanism for exceptions? I know about:

  * (rnrs exceptions)
  * (ice-9 exceptions)
  * (srfi srfi-34)
  * (srfi srfi-35)

and IIRC I've seen more than one of them used in the Guix codebase.

Likewise, what record system should I use? I think the answer should *not* be (guix records): instead, I think (guix records) should eventually use (guix contracts). But should I use:

  * (rnrs records syntactic)
  * (rnrs records procedural)
  * (srfi srfi-9)
  * (oop goops)

Of those, I'm most familiar with R6RS records. I know (guix records) is implemented on top of (srfi srfi-9), though I vaguely remember some discussion about potentially changing that.

Also, I don't know much about how the "abi" aspect of (guix records) works and what types of changes there would trigger rebuilds. (Though, again, I hope no changes would be needed for the proof-of-concept phase.)

Finally, when I looked again at the example at the top of this thread: