guix-devel

Re: The Shepherd on Fibers

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: The Shepherd on Fibers
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 15:29:55 +0000

> > Which socket file?
> >
> > (In practice ‘exec-command’ would only fail if the program cannot be
> > found.)
>
> Attila Lendvai has encountered the socket file to be deleted before,
> this seemed to have been the cause and I have seen a few bug reports
> (about tor?) that might have had the same cause. I don't have a bug
> number at hand.

my first ever service has non-trivial work to do in the start GEXP,
and unsurprisingly, it has often ended up throwing an exception while
i subled along my learning curve. it's not caught by shepherd right
around the call to the start GEXP, and reaches a handler up higher
that ends up deleting the socket (and IIRC skipping the start of rest
of the services).

it's on my TODO to harden the error handling in shepherd once the
shepherd-for-guix patch is in, or something equivalent that shortens
the edit-compile-test cycle of shepherd.

but obviously, i don't mind if it gets fixed meanwhile by the open
source fairies... :)

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39