guix-devel

Re: Deprecating legacy build phase style when cross-compiling vs. native

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Deprecating legacy build phase style when cross-compiling vs. native
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 19:22:13 +0200

Josselin Poiret schreef op wo 30-03-2022 om 17:17 [+0200]:
> This means that packages that were not updated to fit the new style
> should all fail to cross-compile.  This simple bug could be resolved by
> adding %output to gnu-cross-build, however as was argued on IRC this is
> now undocumented behaviour and we'd rather switch all packages to the
> new style instead.  While I 100% agree with this, I think we should have
> a uniform deprecation policy for this matter, and that there shouldn't
> be such a disparity between cross and native builds.
>
> What do you all think?

Not sure how this deprecation would look like (a NEWS entry, a blog
post, a (lowercase) news entry, a linter detecting %output, ...), but I
agree with (eventually) removing %output / %outputs whether cross-
compilation or not and for all build systems.  More generally, I agree
that disparity between cross and native builds would ideally be
minimised (I consider native builds to be a special case of cross
builds where one can run the compiled binaries and run tests).

Greetings,
Maxime.