guix-devel

Re: Autotools-generated 'configure' & 'Makefile.in' considered binaries?

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Autotools-generated 'configure' & 'Makefile.in' considered binaries?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 13:17:29 +0200

Zhu Zihao schreef op wo 30-03-2022 om 22:31 [+0800]:
> It is also burden for
> packager to pick the build-time dependencies like libtool,
> autoconf-archive, gnulib etc. if we force all autotools baseed
> packages use autoreconf

Reading 12037 lines of 'configure' and 7896 lines of 'Makefile.in'
seems way more of a burden to me than adding two lines

  (native-inputs
    (list libtool autoconf automake gettext-minimal autoconf-archive))

Would be nice to package 'gnulib' in Guix though, currently it's a bit
ad-hoc ...

I don't see any force here, at least not more than _not_ using
autoreconf would force package reviewers to review the 'configure' etc
for malware and people using new architectures to report bugs & patches
to regenerate the Autotools things to recognise the new architecture.

Greetings,
Maxime.