guix-devel

Re: U.S. Midwest based build farm

From: jbranso
Subject: Re: U.S. Midwest based build farm
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 20:13:30 +0000

June 11, 2022 4:00 PM, "Maxime Devos" <maximedevos@telenet.be> wrote:

> jbranso@dismail.de schreef op za 11-06-2022 om 16:06 [+0000]:
>
>> What's good and/or bad about this idea?
>
> A positive point: extra resources, could be useful for reproducibility
> testing, ...?

That's actually a good idea.  I could give limited ssh access to a few
guix developers.  Those guix developers could use my old and hopefully
more powerful machines to quickly compile software.  Rust takes ages
to compile...

> A negative point: extra points through with malware can be introduced
> (->compromises). Can be solved by reproducible builds and variation of
> "guix challenge". Unfortunately, "guix challenge" is inherently racy.
> "guix substitute" currently only checks that the narinfo has a _single_
> authorised signature, maybe it can be adjusted to allow the user to
> ask: ‘only consider a substitute to be authorised if the same hash is
> signed by N different authorised keys’?

Thanks for the feedback.  We could also use the machines as a mirror
or an additional substitute server.