guix-devel

Re: how to write services (was: Re: Teams)

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: how to write services (was: Re: Teams)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 08:46:11 +0200

catonano@gmail.com writes:

> Ricardo, the general map of the concepts involved in conceiving a
> service is useful
>
> But in my toot I asked for something different
>
> I asked for indications about the process (what magic to use in the
> REPL)

There is no REPL magic.  I write the service in chunks that I *could*
run separately (like the start command).  The rest I just write, and
then build a system with “guix system build” until it works.

Your assumption that there’s some guarded secret knowledge is wrong.

> as you can see, they also noticed a difference in the experience
> between creating home services and system services
>
> While you somewhat downplayed that
>
> Now I want to be clear, here
>
> In the past I have misunderstood some of your contributions about
> macros in Guile (that I had asked about)
>
> I came to terms with the fact that you're doing your best and in total
> good faith, so I hope it's clear that's not what's happening today
>
> But I also hope you can see why I could get a bit frustrated with your
> reply

No, I don’t.  I answered a vague question with what I hoped would be
helpful.  My bad.  I won’t do it again.

This is not the first time that my attempt to answer your question is
just met with a barrage of criticism, so I won’t expose myself to this
situation again.

--
Ricardo