guix-devel

Re: Time namespace for build sandbox (was Re: Set FORCE_SOURCE_DATE=1 by

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Time namespace for build sandbox (was Re: Set FORCE_SOURCE_DATE=1 by default)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 18:41:03 +0200

Zhu Zihao schreef op wo 22-06-2022 om 23:16 [+0800]:

> Can we make some experiments on the Linux time namespace for build
> sandbox?
>
> This can mock the real system with our desired value, maybe a good
> solution for the reproduciblity on Linux machine.
>
> Ref: https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/time_namespaces.7.html

There are some comments on time namespace at
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/44559#3>.  Unfortunately, it only accepts
offsets in a limited range, so you can't just reset the clock to 1970.

There was also some talk on avoiding the no-CLOCK_REALTIME problem at
<https://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2022-06-08.log> with syscall rewriting.

Greetings,
Maxime.