guix-devel

Re: Experimental nar-herder support for serving fixed output files by ha

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Experimental nar-herder support for serving fixed output files by hash
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 10:31:55 +0200

Christopher Baines schreef op vr 24-06-2022 om 09:10 [+0100]:
> [...]
> In terms of next steps, there's some things to do with improving the
> implementation, but it would be good to hear if this is actually
> worthwile?

I wouldn't know about the Guix part, but supporting streaming reading
at some point in the past, I tried doing some streaming of reading

I'm not sure what ‘this’ refers to here: supporting fixed-output
derivations in general, or improving the implementation?  I don't know
the answer on the latter (except for a generic less memory/latency =
good answer), but I'd like to say that ci.guix.gnu.org's support for
fixed-output derivation makes it effectively acts like a mirror for all
source code used in Guix, so I'd like to keep that behaviour (*).
(There's always SWH, but avoiding a single points of failure would be
nice ...)

(*) I don't know if a lack of support for fixed-output derivations in
nar-herder would affect this ...

Greetings,
Maxime.