guix-devel

Re: reader macros for hidden packages

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: reader macros for hidden packages
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 10:56:12 +0200

Hi,

jgart <jgart@dismail.de> skribis:

> Out of curiosity, is it possible to make reader macros like this with guile?
>
> ```
> @hidden
> (define-public python-httplib2

As Maxime notes, ‘read-hash-extend’ is the only reader extension
mechanism, and it only supports hash-prefixed extensions.

That said, I very much recommend against reader extensions because they
don’t compose (the extension is installed globally), they are not
namespaced, etc.  I find it OK in very narrow cases, such as gexps, but
I wouldn’t use them anywhere else.

The good thing is that we can often achieve concise syntax with sexps as
well, like:

  (define-public python-httplib2
    (hidden-package (package …)))

HTH!