guix-devel

Re: First guix pull is too costly

From: Akib Azmain Turja
Subject: Re: First guix pull is too costly
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 18:49:01 +0600

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 at 14:04, Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> wrote:
>
>> Is possible to reuse the guix channel from any other user to do the
>> first guix pull?  Or maybe a shallow clone?
>
> Assuming alice is user already existing on the machine and bob is the
> new user.  Something like should do the job,

> ALICE=/home/alice/.cache/guix/checkouts/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq
> BOB=/home/BOB/.cache/guix/checkouts/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq
> mkdir -p $BOB
> git clone $ALICE $BOB
>
> then adapt the permissions.
>

> Cheers,
> simon

It worked!  Thanks a lot.

Just out of curiosity, why the hash is
pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq?  Is this the hash
of the channel declaration/definition/whatsoever?

--
Akib Azmain Turja

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  It's fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5