guix-devel

Re: How to reinstall the bootloader without guix system reconfigure?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: How to reinstall the bootloader without guix system reconfigure?
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 12:16:59 +0000

Hi,

Guix System reinstalls GRUB every time for convenience, but there's no need to
run 'guix' just to fix GRUB.

You can reinstall it by hand if you know what you're doing, using GRUB's
grub-install command.  It doesn't even matter which distribution's GRUB you
use, as long as it's not ancient.  Guix's GRUB does not carry Guix-specific
patches.

What does matter very much is whether you use the UEFI or non-UEFI version.
Can you share your operating-system's (bootloader ...) snippet?

Form this distance, I can't tell you why one GRUB broke & the other one didn't.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.